Associate Professor, Cosmochemistry and Planet Formation
Ph.D., 1997, Washington University
Department of Planetary Sciences
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tel: +1 520 626 1138
Email: lauretta at lpl.arizona.edu
Lauretta Profile at LPL
- Chemistry and mineralogy of asteroids and comets as determined by chemical models of planet formation, in situ laboratory analysis and spacecraft observations.
- Experimental reproduction of mineral assemblages that occur in planetary materials.
Chronology of Education
- Washington University, St. Louis, MO.
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences.
Ph.D. in Earth and Planetary Sciences, 1997.
Thesis: Theoretical and Experimental Studies of Fe-Ni-S, Be, and B Cosmochemistry.
Advisor: Bruce Fegley, Jr.
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Depts. of Physics, Mathematics, and East Asian Studies
B.S. in Physics and Mathematics, Cum Laude, 1993
B.A. in Oriental Studies (emphasis: Japanese), Cum Laude, 1993
Chronology of Employment
- Associate Professor, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, Dept. of Planetary Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ; 2006 – present.
- Assistant Professor, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, Dept. of Planetary Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ; 2001 – 2006.
- Associate Research Scientist, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ; 1999 – 2001.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Dept. of Geology, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
Primary project: Transmission electron microscopy of meteoritic minerals.
Supervisor: Peter R. Buseck; Dates: 1997 – 1999.
- Research Assistant, Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Washington Univ., St. Louis, MO
Primary project: Experimental studies of sulfide formation in the solar nebula.
Advisor: Bruce Fegley, Jr.; Dates: 1993 – 1997.
- Research Intern, NASA Undergraduate Research Program, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Primary project: Development of a logic-based language for S.E.T.I.
Advisor: Carl Devito; Dates: 1992 – 1993.
Honors and Awards
- Antarctica Service Medal of the United States of America (2010)
- Kavli Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (2008)
- Award of Excellence Top 10 Oral Presentation AAPG Annual Convention (2008)
- UA College of Science Distinguished Early Career Teaching Award (2006)
- Top 100 Science Discoveries – Discover Magazine (2004)
- The Alfred O. Nier Prize of the Meteoritical Society (2002)
- Asteroid 5819 named Lauretta (2002)
- Stephen E. Dwornik Planetary Geoscience Award (1997)
- Harvey H. Nininger Meteorite Award (1996)
- Meteoritical Society Student Travel Grant (1994, 1996)
- McDonnell Fellowship for the Space Sciences (1993-95)
- NASA Undergraduate Research Space Grant (1992-93)
- Silver Prize, Southwest Regional Japanese Essay Contest (1992)
- Arizona Regents' Presidential Scholarship (1988-91)
Teaching and Education
- CURRENT STAFF SCIENTISTS
Alex Andronikov (ICP-MS Lab Manager)
Dolores Hill (Meteorite Collection Manager)
- CURRENT POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATES
Jemma Davidson (Ph.D. 2009 – Open University)
- CURRENT PH.D. STUDENTS
Eve Berger (PTYS Ph.D.)
Kathryn Gardner-Vandy (PTYS Ph.D.)
Devin Schrader (PTYS Ph.D.)
- FORMER POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATES
Eric Palmer (2009-2010)
- FORMER PH.D. STUDENTS
Fred Ciesla (Ph.D. 2003)
Matthew Pasek (Ph.D. 2006)
Jade Bond (Ph.D. 2008)
Eric Palmer (Ph.D. 2009)
- FORMER M.S. STUDENTS
Celinda Marsh (M.S. 2007)
- UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH INTERNS
Rachel Maxwell (2010 – present)
Jennifer Sierchio (2010 – present)
Lujhendra Ohja (2009 – present)
Courtney King (2008 – present)
Katrina Jackson (2008 – present)
Daniella Della-Giustina (2004 – 2009)
Adria Brooks (2006 – 2008)
Matthew Rodriguez (2006 – 2007)
Devin Schrader (2005 – 2007)
Alyssa La Blue (2003 – 2005)
Virginia Smith (2003 – 2004)
Frances McQueen (2002 – 2003)
See the publications page.