|Department of Planetary Sciences |
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
LPL Central Computing Systems (LCS)
How do I scan my hard-copy lecture notes for display on my class web site?
1. Login as lpluser (no password) to the Windows 2000 PC in Room 331.
2. Use Explorer to create a new folder under C:\users\yourname.
3. Double-click on the HP Precision Scan Pro 3.01 icon.
4. Place the first page of your lecture notes in the upper-right corner of the HP ScanJet 7400C's glass bed (face-down) and close the lid.
5. Click Scan -> New Scan.
6. Wait for the lamp to warm up (one minute).
7. Use the mouse to outline the area of the scanned page that you wish to record.
8. Click Scan -> Save As.
9. Navigate to c:\users\yourname.
10. Save the image as a PDF file (e.g., lecture_N.pdf).
11. Lift the scanner lid, replace page 1 with page 2, and close the lid.
12. Click Scan in the "Scan another page into current document" pop-up.
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 until you've scanned all pages.
14. Click Done in the "Scan another page into current document" pop-up.
15. Click Scan -> Exit.
16. Arrange to have the lecture pdf file put on the web.
If you have a web author who takes care of your web pages, either:
Use Secure File Transer to copy c:\users\yourname\lecture_N.pdf to your home directory on hindmost, then email your author with the location of this file.
Use LPL WebMail to email c:\users\yourname\lecture_N.pdf as an attachment to your web author.
If you don't have a web author, use LPL WebMail to email the file as an attachment to webmaster, asking that the file be added to your class web pages. Please remember to specify your class name and section number.
Back to the LCS FAQ page
Return to LPL homepage