Cucumber Tea Sandwiches with Tarragon Butter
Put cucumber slices into a large, non-metal bowl. Toss with salt.
Sprinkle with vinegar. Toss to mix well. Let stand 1 hour. Drain well in colander.
- 1 large English cucumber, peeled, sliced paper thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup minced fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chervil
- 30 thin slices whole-wheat bread, enough to make 72 (2x4inch) rectangles
- Watercress leaves (optional)
- Mayonnaise and chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Blend butter, tarragon and chervil.
To assemble, spread butter over 1 side of each bread slice.
Cover 15 slices with cucumbers, dividing evenly. Close sandwiches.
Trim crusts. Cut into 36 rectangles.
Arrange on platter, garnished with watercress leaves.
Optional: For looks, dip one end of a sandwich into mayonnaise,
then into minced fresh parsley.
From: Chef Richard Hughes, Pelican Club, New Orleans
back to the Cucumber Recipe File!