— Welcome to the course website for PTYS/ASTR/GEOL 442/542 —
In-depth study of the planet Mars, including geology, geophysics, atmospheric science, climate change, the search for life, and the history and future of Mars exploration. There will be guest lectures from professors and research scientists with expertise in various aspects of Mars. There will be lots of discussion of recent results and scientific controversies. The course is intended for upper division and graduate science majors or minors.
- Course syllabus and topics covered are discussed here.
- Lectures for spring 2015 start on Jan 14th in Rm 312 of the Kuiper building, and continue Monday and Wednesday 10am-11:15pm.
- Office hours are after class as needed.
- Mars: An Introduction to its Interior, Surface and Atmosphere. by N. Barlow 2008.
- The Surface of Mars by M. Carr 2006.
Other Generally Recommended Texts
- Planetary Surface Processes by H.J. Melosh 2011.
- The new solar system 4th edition, edited by Beatty, Peterson and Chailin
- Planetary Sciences, 2nd edition by de Pater and Lissauer
- Encyclopedia of the Solar System 2nd edition, edited by McFadden, Weissman and Johnson
- Physics and Chemistry of the Solar System 2nd edition, by Lewis