Computing at LPL
LPL Systems provides support and enhances LPL’s ability to fulfill its objectives through the application of computer technology. LPL Systems provides the networking, system administration, and support necessary to accomplish this goal.
User requests to LPL Systems personnel can be made in person, by phone, or by e-mailing Sys at . Monitoring of these requests and the actions on these requests helps produce statistics on the real needs in each area, and facilitates reasonable reallocation of resources as needs evolve.
Three priorities form the core of the LPL Systems network function:
- Networking and communications hardware
Among the centrally-supported system administration duties supported by LPL Systems are:
- Maintaining email, print, and network file servers
- Maintaining network services and protocols
- Maintaining Business Office and Administrative Office computers
- Maintaining workstations
- Supporting standard applications
The scientific computing needs of LPL fall into two broad categories:
- Support for common computing areas where LPL provides hardware and software
- Support for autonomous groups with private computing resources
Common to both groups is the need for program development resources (e.g., compilers, visualization and graphics packages such as IDL). LPL Systems provides printing, copying, and scanning capabilities in common areas.
Computing education and training is provided centrally. Tutorials are given concerning LPL Systems capabilities as needed.