New to LPL

Where can I download U of A licensed software and documentation?

Visit the site at:

How do I use email at LPL?

After you have obtained an LPL user account from LPL Systems, you may use LPL email in one of the following ways:

  • Set up and use an LPL email client on your desktop/laptop, as follows:
    < >Windows and Mac users can download and install Thunderbird, unless they prefer Outlook or Mac Mail.

    Sun and Linux users should find that Thunderbird is already installed on their system.

    Click here to learn how to set up your LPL email client.

    Solaris command-line users can use pine or mailx after ssh-ing to shell (no setup required).

    Login to LPL WebMail

For best performance, LPL Systems recommends that you set up and use an email client on your desktop/laptop. 
LPL WebMail is primarily intended for use when you do not have access to your own system.

How do I use LPL WebMail?

LPL WebMail is accessible from a link on the LPL home page. To obtain more information and login instructions, please click here: LPL WebMail Home. If you have comments or problem reports, please send email to sys. 

How do I get immediate help for a computer systems emergency?

To get help in an emergency, please call or visit the LPL Central Computing Systems Staff at: 
Joe Gotobed Cell (520) 631-2138 Room SS-440
John Pursch Cell (520) 631-2200 Room SS-201

If it's not an emergency, please send email to the Systems Help Email Hot Line sys .

How can I make photocopies?

There is 1 Konica Minolta copier in the Kuiper building (Kuiper 351A), 1 copier in the Sonett building, and 1 copier in the Drake building.

To use the copiers, contact Ali Castillo in the LPL Business Office (Kuiper 339) for a PIN. The PIN will be keyed to appropriate account number(s); scanning is free, but a PIN is required as a login.

If you encounter problems with the Kuiper copier, see Bert Orosco (Kuiper 325).

How do I request assistance from the student courier?

Student couriers are available to pick up items on campus, run errands, help move office furniture, etc. Request courier assistance using the online Courier Request Form or call 520-621-6963.



How do I reserve a room/equipment in the Kuiper building?

LPL uses the LARS online scheduling system to reserve classrooms, laptops, a/v materials, and more. LPL staff can use their LPL email credentials to log into LARS. Off-campus access is available using the LPL email credentials. If you experience problems, contact ; for other assistance in accessing LARS or making a reservation, contact the LPL Academic Office, 520-621-6963.

Who do I contact about computing issues?

Email  with problems regarding email, computing, hardware, software, etc.

I'm a new employee with some questions; who can I contact with University related questions?

Most of the information a new employee might need can be found at the U of A "New to the U" website. For any other additional questions on general new employee policies or procedures, please contact UA Human Resources or Tara Bode in the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339.

How do I send campus mail?

Campus mail is picked up daily from the LPL mailroom in Kuiper 315. Please use envelopes marked “campus mail” and be sure to address all envelopes with correct/exact building and recipient. Please note that there are different bins for mail going to the Drake or Sonnet buildings and mail going to other areas of campus. 

How do I become cleared to drive a university vehicle?

Visit Risk Management and click on “Driver Registration and Motor Vehicle Record Check.”  Fill out the information for the University to check your driving record and clear you to drive University vehicles. Consult with Tara Bode in Kuiper 339 (520-621-4497) to ensure the check is required.

How do I get keys?

For keys to PTYS/LPL offices, supervisors should send an email to ; message should provide employee name and list of rooms for which keys are needed. Employee can then contact Sarah Lane-Gaxiola in the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339.  She will make a copy of your CatCard and request the key(s)/access required.

What types of training must I complete?

Depending on your job and title, there are several trainings and orientations you will need to complete (PCard training, Travel orientations, Conflict of Interest, ITAR, etc).

Note especially:

Who do I contact for A/V help?

Contact Joshua Sosa at 520-621-0290 or 520-838-1317. If Joshua is unavailable, call the Academic Office at 520-621-6963.

Where can I find LPL/UA letterhead and logos?

LPL letterhead and logos are posted here. You can visit the UA RedBar site for access to UA graphics.

Where can I find office supplies for my Kuiper office?

Check out the supply cabinet, Kuiper 335.

Does LPL have a library?

Yes! The LPL Library is located in Kuiper 409. Lisa Martin (; 520-621-2870) is the librarian.

How do I access the Kuiper bike cage?

Contact Sarah Lane-Gaxiola () or Kari Figueroa( ) in the Kuiper Business Office (Kuiper 339) for access to the Kuiper bike cage (located under the gantry stairwell on the northeast corner of the building).

What's the LPL FAX number?

The FAX number for LPL/Kuiper is 520-621-4933. The Kuiper FAX machine is located in the mailroom, Kuiper 315. Users will need to have their long-distance PIN phone codes to make dial a long-distance number.

How do I send a FedEx package?

Kuiper building FedEx/UPS packages are delivered and picked-up from the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339.

  1. FedEx shippers can print their own labels and establish billing with an FRS account number at
  2. To schedule pickup, call 1-800-GOFEDEX (1-800-463-3339) and enter FedEx account number plus type of service required and time of pickup.

For detailed information or assistance regarding account numbers, etc., contact your group's administrative assistant or Kari Figueroa in the LPL Business Office (; 520-626-9007).

How do I report a broken seat/light/faucet/fixture?

Contact the following staffers:

  • Tara Bode (Kuiper 339, 520-621-4497,) is the Kuiper building monitor.
  • Sue Robison (Sonett 107, 520-621-6950, ) is the Sonett building monitor.
  • Ron Richards (Drake 101, 520-549-7152, ) is the Drake building monitor.

For after-hours emergencies, call the UA Facilities Management switchboard, 520-621-3000.

Where do I get paper/service for the shared Kuiper printers?

Shared (networked) printers in the Kuiper building (3rd and 4th floors) are maintained by sys (); contact sys for problems with ink, jams, etc.

Paper for these printers is available in the Kuiper mailroom, Kuiper 315.

Who can help me with payroll/benefits?

Contact Tara Bode in the LPL Business Office, Kuiper 339: , 520-621-4497.

Are there resources/orientations for new faculty?

New faculty can go to for a start with campus and teaching resources, policies, and procedures.

LPL hosts an Instructor/GTA workshop at the start of each semester. This is an opportunity to learn about university and department teaching policies, procedures, and practices, and to share questions and experiences regarding classroom management, etc.

How do I get a CatCard?

Information about obtaining a UA CatCard is here:  You will need a CatCard before obtaining keys to an office in Kuiper or Sonett.

To obtain your CatCard you must visit the CatCard Office located in the Student Union. Please be prepared with the following:

  • A government or state issued photograph identification such as a driver's license, state identification card, or passport. High school issued identification is NOT accepted as valid identification.
  • A completed and signed CatCard Terms and Conditions Form
  • Students and affiliates pay $25 for their first card.
  • Faculty and staff are issued their first CatCard free of charge.

Please Note: When you apply for your CatCard, you will need to provide your student or employee identification number to verify your status at the University of Arizona. This information is needed because only students, faculty, staff, and some affiliates of the University of Arizona are eligible to receive a CatCard. This number will not appear on the face of your CatCard, but it will be encoded electronically on your card, to be used for necessary UA internal purposes only. The number will not be provided to outside entities without your prior consent.


  • Students must be enrolled in at least one class, or be participating in a New Student Orientation.
  • New employees must have been issued an employee identification number (EmplID) and show active status in the payroll system.
What are the benefits (tuition remission/health) of a RA/TA appointment?

Information about RA/TA benefits, including tuition remission, health insurance, etc., is available online from the Graduate College.

What's the difference: AND ?

All faculty, students, and staff at the University of Arizona are assigned an official UA email account ( This is the address to which official university correspondence is directed by default. Members of PTYS/LPL also receive an LPL email account ( Be advised that you will either have to check both accounts, or forward/merge accounts. John Pursch can assist you in setting up your email account and providing instruction regarding access.

What is the policy regarding discrimination and sexual harassment?

Please review the complete Graduate College policy.

Discrimination and Sexual Harassment

A student who believes that he or she has experienced discrimination or sexual harassment should contact the Office of Institutional Equity.  The student will be referred to an individual with expertise in these areas for confidential advice on handling the situation or filing a written complaint. Students with disabilities who would like information on University policies with regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) should contact the University's Disability Resource Center (DRC) at (520) 621-3268. 

Where can I find resources for student parents?

Graduate student parents are encouraged to consider applicable family care programs from UA Life & Work Connections, ranging from individual consultations and referrals, to Child Care Subsidy & Housing Program, lactation resources, and a University-subsidized Sick Child and Emergency/Back-up Care Program. Visit to learn more about student child care and related programs.

Please also review resources listed by the UA Graduate College, including child care subsidies and family friendly information. The Graduate College is dedicated to promoting and strengthening family relationships. Many resources have been designed to help graduate students balance and manage family, work, and school.

What is FERPA?

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly referred to as FERPA or the Buckley amendment, is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s educational record. FERPA applies to all educational agencies or institutions that receive federal funding for any program administered by the Secretary of Education.  FERPA also applies to private entities that contract to perform services for the University that it would otherwise undertake to perform on its own; in such cases, the private entity must observe the same FERPA protections applicable to the University. FERPA grants adult students (18 and older) the following rights:

  • The right to inspect and review their educational records
  • The right to seek the amendment of their educational records
  • The right to consent to the disclosure of their educational records
  • The right to obtain a copy of their school’s Student Records Policy
  • The right to file a complaint with the FERPA Office in Washington, D.C.

All faculty, staff, and students who work with students and educational records MUST review FERPA policy and complete the FERPA tutorial.

What is LPL Coffee Klatsch?

LPL Coffee Klatsch is an informal gathering of faculty, students, and staff at LPL. Coffee and snacks are provided. It's a great time to take a break and catch up with what's happening in the department. Coffee Klatsch usually happens on Wednesday at 3:30p.m. in Kuiper Space Sciences 309.

What is LPL Journal Club?

LPL Journal Club is held on Fridays at 2:00p.m. in Kuiper Space Sciences 309. Each week, there is a speaker who presents a current topic or paper for informal discussion. Journal Club topics/schedule are available here.

How do I set up direct deposit?

If you are receiving salary or wages from the University of Arizona, you can establish Direct Deposit from UAccess Employee/Manager Self Service. Once logged in using your netID, to to Self Service (under Main Menu), then Payroll and Compensation, then Direct Deposit.

If you are a student who is not receiving salary or wages, you can establish Direct Deposit from your UAccess Student Center account.

  • Once logged in using your netID:
  • Click on the Account Inquiry link (under the Finances / My Account)
  • Click on the Web Refund Enrollment tab
  • Enter your direct deposit information
  • Click Enroll
Where do I find the UA Classified Staff Human Resource Policy Manual?

The University of Arizona Classified Staff Human Resource Policy Manual is available online at:

Where do I find the University Handbook for Appointed Personnel?

The University of Arizona Handbook for Appointed Personnel is available online at:

Where do I find general University of Arizona Policies and Procedures?

University policies and procedures are posted online at:


Where can I find information about the Promotion and Tenure process?

Information about Promotion and Tenure is available from the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs. Policies are governed under Chapter 3 of the University Handbook for Appointed Personnel.

What is Disruptive Student Behavior and how do I address it?

Disruptive Behavior is conduct that materially and substantially interferes with or obstructs the teaching or learning process in the context of a classroom or educational setting.

Review the policies and guidelines available from the Dean of Students.

What is Threatening Behavior and how do I address it?

Threatening Behavior is Prohibited. “Threatening behavior” means any statement, communication, conduct or gesture, including those in written form, directed toward any member of the University community that causes a reasonable apprehension of physical harm to a person or property. A student can be guilty of threatening behavior even if the person who is the object of the threat does not observe or receive it, so long as a reasonable person would interpret the maker’s statement, communication, conduct or gesture as a serious expression of intent to physically harm.

Review the university policy and procedures for mandatory reporting of threatening behavior.

What do I do if I experience/witness discrimination or harassment?

The University of Arizona is committed to creating and maintaining a work and learning environment that is safe, inclusive and free of discriminatory conduct prohibited by the Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment Policy. The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) leads efforts to promote and uphold this policy and its goals, foster equity and opportunity, strengthen relationships across diverse groups, and support a campus culture of equality for all members of the University community.

Refer to the OIE web site for traning and outreach, policies and procedures, and reporting and complaint investigations.

What is the Faculty Annual Performance Peer Review?

The annual faculty review process is governed under Chapter 3 of the University Handbook for Appointed Personnel. For requirements, policies, and procedures, see descriptions under UHAP policy and Human Resources.

Each faculty member's performance will be evaluated in writing on a scheduled basis at least once every 12 months. The annual performance review will evaluate the faculty member's performance in his or her department or unit consistent with that unit's responsibilities, University and ABOR policies. Every annual review of teaching will consist of peer and student input, including student evaluations of faculty classroom performance in all classes, and other expressions of teaching performance.

Faculty members of the University are evaluated with respect to all personnel matters on the basis of excellence in performance. Annual performance reviews are intended:

  1. To involve faculty members in the design and evaluation of objectives and goals of their academic programs and in the identification of the performance expectations central to their own personal and professional growth;
  2. To assess actual performance and accomplishments in the areas of teaching, research, and professional service through the use of peer review;
  3. To promote the effectiveness of faculty members through an articulation of the types of contributions they might make that enhance the University;
  4. To provide a written record of faculty performance to support personnel decisions;
  5. To recognize and maximize the special talents, capabilities, and achievements of faculty members;
  6. To correct unsatisfactory ratings in one or more areas of responsibility through specific improvement plans designed to correct the deficiencies in a timely manner;
  7. For tenured faculty members, to fulfill ABOR-PM 6-201(H) post-tenure review; and
  8. For nontenure-eligible faculty members with multiple-year appointments (such as assistant, associate, or full clinical or research professors, or assistant, associate, or full professors of practice) to fulfill ABOR-PM 6-201(D)(4) and (D)(5) review for renewal.
What are the UA policies and benefits for Postdocs?

The Postdoctoral Resource Network provides resources for postdoctoral scholars at The University of Arizona. The Resource Network's goals are to foster community, to connect scholars with resources for career and personal development, and to serve as a framework for representation on campus and in the Tucson community. This page ( includes information about UA and ABOR personnel policies (titles, benefits, etc.), professional development, and position openings.

National Postdoctoral Association Affiliation Benefits(link is external)

Created in 2007, the Resource Network is a member of the National Postdoctoral Association. This provides the following benefits to individual affiliated members:

  • Free individual affiliation - Any interested individual affiliated with the University of Arizona may join the NPA for free as an affiliate member.
  • NPA E-Alerts and POSTDOCket, quarterly newsletter will be distributed electronically to members of the UA Postdoc listserv.
  • Access to the Members-Only Content, i.e. the International Postdoc Survival Guide, professional and leadership development materials.
  • Discounts for individual members on Lab Essentials Publications from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press and Current Protocols from JohnWiley & Sons, as well as legal services, Zip Cars, Stuffbak, and joint membership with AAAS/Science.
  • Professional & Leadership Development resources and opportunities to serve on NPA committees and the executive board.
  • Group Health Insurance option through NAGPS for postdoc members of the NPA.
  • Networking Opportunities with colleagues on the Sustaining listserv moderated by NPA.
  • Annual Meeting Discounts to the annual spring meeting.

Looking Ahead

While the Network is in the beginning stages, we anticipate further developments recommended by the NPA to create a Council for postdoctoral scholars, and to facilitate opportunities for engagement among postdocs across the campus.

What is Teaching Teams?

The Teaching Teams Program provides dynamic resources for learning and instruction at the University of Arizona. Teaching Teams is university-wide program with a home base at the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory (LPL). Historically, Teaching Teams has served a variety of faculty and students at the University of Arizona because the Teaching Teams approach to learning, curriculum building, and instruction is easy to use, and is successful across disciplines. It is the oldest and largest program of its kind on campus. To learn more about the program and how to participate, go to:

What is SEDS?

LPL hosts the UA chapter of Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS). The UA SEDS group is very active and includes students from a variety of majors. For more information, visit the UA SEDS web site.

What is Space Grant?

LPL is home to the Arizona Space Grant Consortium. Led by a statewide team of managers and affiliate representatives, Arizona Space Grant is part of The National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program, established by Congress in 1987. Space Grant contributes to the nation's science enterprise by implementing research, education and public service projects through a national network of university-based Space Grant consortia.

The specific objectives of the program are:

  • To establish a national network of universities with interests and capabilities in aeronautics, space and related fields;
  • To encourage cooperative programs among universities, aerospace industry, and federal, state and local governments;
  • To encourage interdisciplinary training research, and public-service programs related to aerospace;
  • To recruit and train professionals, especially women and underrepresented minorities, for careers in aerospace science, technology, and allied fields; and
  • To promote a strong science, math, and technology educational base from elementary through university levels.

The AZSGC mission is to expand opportunities for Americans to learn about and participate in NASA's aeronautics and space programs by supporting and enhancing science, and engineering education, research, and delivering high quality public education programs. Our goal is to integrate research with education to help build a diverse, scientifically literate citizenry and a well-prepared science, engineering and technology workforce. 

Is there a New Employee Orientation?

The University of Arizona offers various new employee orientations and trainings. For information about life at LPL, contact your supervisor, your administrative support staff, and Tara Bode in the Kuiper Business Office (Kuiper 339, 520-621-4497). LPL provides a New Employee Resource document, available from LPL Business Office forms

Orienting New Employees

Once a new employee is hired, an orientation partnership begins between the University and the employee to help the employee enjoy a successful and satisfying work/life experience.

An effective orientation should be on-going and not limited to the first few weeks of work. As a new employee, you should work closely with your supervisor and other colleagues in your unit or department to ensure that you have all the information and resources you will need to feel comfortable and prepared. A New Employee Checklist (PDF) is available to help you track your orientation progress.

As a new employee of the University of Arizona, there are many orientation activities available to assist you with your transition. This web page was designed to acquaint you with some of the formal orientation programs offered on campus.

Does the UA have an Ombuds Program?

The Ombuds Program at the University of Arizona is an informal, neutral, confidential and independent resource for any academic or workplace concern. Visiting an ombuds can help you to understand a University policy, access appropriate individuals or resolve conflicts with other members of the University community. For more information, visit the web site.

What types of professional resources are available from the University of Arizona?

There are many resources available to the faculty and staff who work at the University of Arizona, including information available at the three links below:

Where do I find UA policies listed by category?

There are many resources available to the faculty and staff who work at the University of Arizona, including information available at the three links below:

Subscribe to RSS - New to LPL