What is the Carson Graduate Fellowship?

The Carson Graduate Fellowship at LPL is funded through a generous endowment established by the estate of Virginia B. Carson, honoring her husband, a former member of the Flying Tigers, a master navigator for the U.S. Air Force Strategic Air Command, and an enthusiast of space exploration. Colonel Carson greatly admired the professionalism and accomplishments of the NASA space program.

The fellowship usually provides one year of support for a new, incoming, graduate student in Planetary Sciences. Support includes a one-year salary stipend, a supply/travel stipend, student health insurance, and the cost of tuition/fees for one academic year. Recipients are chosen by the faculty of the Department of Planetary Sciences.

What is Space Grant?

LPL is home to the Arizona Space Grant Consortium. Led by a statewide team of managers and affiliate representatives, Arizona Space Grant is part of The National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program, established by Congress in 1987. Space Grant contributes to the nation's science enterprise by implementing research, education and public service projects through a national network of university-based Space Grant consortia.

The specific objectives of the program are:

  • To establish a national network of universities with interests and capabilities in aeronautics, space and related fields;
  • To encourage cooperative programs among universities, aerospace industry, and federal, state and local governments;
  • To encourage interdisciplinary training research, and public-service programs related to aerospace;
  • To recruit and train professionals, especially women and underrepresented minorities, for careers in aerospace science, technology, and allied fields; and
  • To promote a strong science, math, and technology educational base from elementary through university levels.

The AZSGC mission is to expand opportunities for Americans to learn about and participate in NASA's aeronautics and space programs by supporting and enhancing science, and engineering education, research, and delivering high quality public education programs. Our goal is to integrate research with education to help build a diverse, scientifically literate citizenry and a well-prepared science, engineering and technology workforce. 

What types of information does the Graduate College provide for new, current, and prospective students?

New, current, and prospective graduate students should check-in frequently with the UA Graduate College web site for information about degree services, funding opportunities, professional development, child care subsidies and family friendly information, health, wellness and safety, and other helpful information. The UA Graduate Center is also a good resource for graduate students as well as post-docs.

What do I do if I experience/witness discrimination or harassment?

The University of Arizona is committed to creating and maintaining a work and learning environment that is safe, inclusive and free of discriminatory conduct prohibited by the Nondiscrimination and Anti-harassment Policy. The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) leads efforts to promote and uphold this policy and its goals, foster equity and opportunity, strengthen relationships across diverse groups, and support a campus culture of equality for all members of the University community.

Refer to the OIE web site for traning and outreach, policies and procedures, and reporting and complaint investigations.

What is Threatening Behavior and how do I address it?

Threatening Behavior is Prohibited. “Threatening behavior” means any statement, communication, conduct or gesture, including those in written form, directed toward any member of the University community that causes a reasonable apprehension of physical harm to a person or property. A student can be guilty of threatening behavior even if the person who is the object of the threat does not observe or receive it, so long as a reasonable person would interpret the maker’s statement, communication, conduct or gesture as a serious expression of intent to physically harm.

Review the university policy and procedures for mandatory reporting of threatening behavior.

What is Disruptive Student Behavior and how do I address it?

Disruptive Behavior is conduct that materially and substantially interferes with or obstructs the teaching or learning process in the context of a classroom or educational setting.

Review the policies and guidelines available from the Dean of Students.

Where do I find general University of Arizona Policies and Procedures?

University policies and procedures are posted online at:


What is LPL Journal Club?

LPL Journal Club is held on Fridays at 2:00p.m. in Kuiper Space Sciences 309. Each week, there is a speaker who presents a current topic or paper for informal discussion. Journal Club topics/schedule are available here.

What is LPL Coffee Klatsch?

LPL Coffee Klatsch is an informal gathering of faculty, students, and staff at LPL. Coffee and snacks are provided. It's a great time to take a break and catch up with what's happening in the department. Coffee Klatsch usually happens on Wednesday at 3:30p.m. in Kuiper Space Sciences 309.

Subscribe to RSS - General