LPL Journal Club is held on Fridays at 2:00p.m. in Kuiper Space Sciences 309. Each week, there is a speaker who presents a current topic or paper for informal discussion. Journal Club topics/schedule are available here.

LPL Coffee Klatsch is an informal gathering of faculty, students, and staff at LPL. Coffee and snacks are provided. It's a great time to take a break and catch up with what's happening in the department. Coffee Klatsch usually happens on Wednesday at 3:30p.m. in Kuiper Space Sciences 309.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, commonly referred to as FERPA or the Buckley amendment, is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s educational record. FERPA applies to all educational agencies or institutions that receive federal funding for any program administered by the Secretary of Education.  FERPA also applies to private entities that contract to perform services for the University that it would otherwise undertake to perform on its own; in such cases, the private entity must observe the same FERPA protections applicable to the University. FERPA grants adult students (18 and older) the following rights:

  • The right to inspect and review their educational records
  • The right to seek the amendment of their educational records
  • The right to consent to the disclosure of their educational records
  • The right to obtain a copy of their school’s Student Records Policy
  • The right to file a complaint with the FERPA Office in Washington, D.C.

All faculty, staff, and students who work with students and educational records MUST review FERPA policy and complete the FERPA tutorial.

Should a graduate student feel he or she has been treated unfairly, there are a number of resources available. With few exceptions, students should first attempt to resolve difficulties informally by bringing those concerns directly to the person responsible for the action, or with the student's graduate advisor, the department head, or the immediate supervisor of the person responsible for the action. If the problem cannot be resolved informally, the student may be able to file a formal grievance.

Please go to the Graduate College site to review complete policy and procedures.

Graduate student parents are encouraged to consider applicable family care programs from UA Life & Work Connections, ranging from individual consultations and referrals, to Child Care Subsidy & Housing Program, lactation resources, and a University-subsidized Sick Child and Emergency/Back-up Care Program. Visit to learn more about student child care and related programs.

Please also review resources listed by the UA Graduate College, including child care subsidies and family friendly information. The Graduate College is dedicated to promoting and strengthening family relationships. Many resources have been designed to help graduate students balance and manage family, work, and school.


For the complete TADA policy and information on procedures, visit the Graduate College web site.

Temporary Alternative Duty Assignments for Graduate Assistants/Associates

While changing duties for family-related needs is not required and may not be feasible in all circumstances, deans, directors, department heads, advisors and faculty shall make every reasonable effort to meet the family-related needs of graduate assistants/associates (GA's), to the greatest possible extent, and in a manner consistent with the effective and efficient operation of the University. Similarly, GA's are expected to be flexible and plan ahead to the extent possible. 

Recognizing that some family circumstances may require special flexibility, GA's may request a temporary alternative duty assignment (no more than 6 weeks during one’s entire graduate education). The alternative duties should make it feasible to remain active as a GA under the following circumstances: the responsibility to care for the GA's newborn child or newly-placed adopted or foster child or the need to provide temporary care to the GA’s spouse/domestic partner, child or parent who has a serious health condition.
During the period of temporary assignment to alternative duties, the full-time equivalency (FTE) will remain unchanged and the GA will be compensated at the same rate of pay for all hours worked. GA's are classified as exempt employees, so their pay is not based on number of hours worked but for the whole job, regardless of the amount of time or effort required to complete the work.


Please review the complete Graduate College policy.

Discrimination and Sexual Harassment

A student who believes that he or she has experienced discrimination or sexual harassment should contact the Office of Institutional Equity.  The student will be referred to an individual with expertise in these areas for confidential advice on handling the situation or filing a written complaint. Students with disabilities who would like information on University policies with regard to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) should contact the University's Disability Resource Center (DRC) at (520) 621-3268. 

All faculty, students, and staff at the University of Arizona are assigned an official UA email account ( This is the address to which official university correspondence is directed by default. Members of PTYS/LPL also receive an LPL email account ( Be advised that you will either have to check both accounts, or forward/merge accounts. John Pursch can assist you in setting up your email account and providing instruction regarding access.

Information about obtaining a UA CatCard is here:  You will need a CatCard before obtaining keys to an office in Kuiper or Sonett.

To obtain your CatCard you must visit the CatCard Office located in the Student Union. Please be prepared with the following:

  • A government or state issued photograph identification such as a driver's license, state identification card, or passport. High school issued identification is NOT accepted as valid identification.
  • A completed and signed CatCard Terms and Conditions Form
  • Students and affiliates pay $25 for their first card.
  • Faculty and staff are issued their first CatCard free of charge.

Please Note: When you apply for your CatCard, you will need to provide your student or employee identification number to verify your status at the University of Arizona. This information is needed because only students, faculty, staff, and some affiliates of the University of Arizona are eligible to receive a CatCard. This number will not appear on the face of your CatCard, but it will be encoded electronically on your card, to be used for necessary UA internal purposes only. The number will not be provided to outside entities without your prior consent.


  • Students must be enrolled in at least one class, or be participating in a New Student Orientation.
  • New employees must have been issued an employee identification number (EmplID) and show active status in the payroll system.


Subscribe to RSS - General