PTYS/LPL Graduate Students
John NoonanPlanetary formation, Small bodies
I work on the ESA/NASA Rosetta mission, which arrived at the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko in 2014 and gathered crucial data about the comet and its environment until September 2016. More specifically, I use the R-Alice ultraviolet (UV) spectrograph to analyze the surrounding gas envelope, or coma, of the comet to determine its composition, its response to outside energetic events like coronal mass ejections from the Sun, and what these observations tell us of the comet's origin and evolution.
- Feldman, Paul D., Michael F. A’hearn, Jean-Loup Bertaux, Lori M. Feaga, Brian A. Keeney, Matthew M. Knight, John Noonan et al. "FUV Spectral Signatures of Molecules and the Evolution of the Gaseous Coma of Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko." The Astronomical Journal 155, no. 1 (2017): 9.
- J.-Y. Chaufray, D. Bockelée-Morvan, J.-L. Bertaux, S. Erard, P. D. Feldman, F. Capaccioni, E. Schindhelm, C. Leyrat, J. Parker, G. Filacchione, M. F. A’Hearn, L. M. Feaga, J. Noonan, B. Keeney, A. J. Steffl, S. A. Stern, H. A. Weaver, T. Broiles, J. Burch, G. Clark, M. Samara; Rosetta Alice/VIRTIS observations of the water vapour UV electroglow emissions around comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 469, Issue Suppl_2, 21 July 2017, Pages S416–S426,
- Feldman, Paul D., Michael F. A’hearn, Lori M. Feaga, Jean-Loup Bertaux, John Noonan, Joel Wm Parker, Eric Schindhelm, Andrew J. Steffl, S. Alan Stern, and Harold A. Weaver. "The nature and frequency of the gas outbursts in comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko observed by the ALICE far-ultraviolet spectrograph on Rosetta." The Astrophysical Journal Letters 825, no. 1 (2016): L8.
- Noonan, John, Eric Schindhelm, Joel W. Parker, Andrew Steffl, Michael Davis, S. Alan Stern, Zuni Levin, Sascha Kempf, and Mihaly Horyani. "The effects of dust outbursts on the anomalistic features observed by Rosetta Alice around 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko." In Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Conference Series, vol. 9905. 2016.
- Noonan, John, Eric Schindhelm, Joel Wm Parker, Andrew Steffl, Michael Davis, S. Alan Stern, Zuni Levin, Sascha Kempf, and Mihaly Horanyi. "An investigation into potential causes of the anomalistic feature observed by the Rosetta Alice spectrograph around 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko." Acta Astronautica 125 (2016): 3-10.