Pranabendu MoitraPostdoctoral Research Associate
Planetary Atmospheres, Planetary Surfaces, Volcanology
Effusive-explosive volcanic eruption dynamics on Earth, Moon and Mars, with implications for evolution of planetary interiors, and volcanic hazards on Earth. Numerical modeling of magma ascent during volcanic eruptions. Rheological characteristics of multiphase magma (voltailes, bubble and crystal bearing magma) and magmatic heat trasnfer rates (under subaerial and subaqueous conditions) using experiments and modeling. Magma chamber-hydrothermal interaction.
Under review/In revision:
8. Horvath D G, Andrews-Hanna J C, Moitra P, Hamilton C W, Craddock R A, Geologically recent explosive volcanism in Elysium Planitia, Mars. Geophysical Research Letters (in revision).
7. Moitra P, Sonder I, Valentine G A, The role of external water on rapid cooling and fragmentation of magma. Earth and Planetary Science Letters (in revision).
6. Moitra P, Gonnermann M H, Houghton B F, Tiwary C S (2018), Fragmentation and Plinian eruption of crystallizing basaltic magma, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 500, 97-104, doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2018.08.003.
5. Sonder I, Harp A, Graettinger A, Moitra P, Valentine G A, Buttner R, Zimanowski B (2018), Meter-Scale Experiments on Magma-Water Interaction, Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, 123, 10597-10615, doi:10.1029/2018JB015682.
4. Moitra P, Sonder I, Valentine G A (2018), Effects of size and temperature-dependent thermal conductivity on the cooling of pyroclasts in air, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 9, 3623-3636, doi:10.1029/2018GC007510.
3. Moitra P, Gonnermann M H (2015), Effects of crystal shape- and size-modality on magma rheology. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, 16, 1-26, doi:10.1002/2014GC005554.
2. Lee C T A, Morton D M, Farner M J and Moitra P (2015), Field and model constraints on silicic melt segregation by compaction/hindered settling: The role of water and its effect on latent heat release. American Mineralogist, 100, 1762-1777, doi:10.2138/am-2015-5121.
1.Moitra P, Andrews-Hanna J C, Horvath D G, A Late Amazonian explosive eruption in Elysium Planitia (to be submitted to Earth and Planetary Science Letters).
2. Moitra P, Effect of non-Newtonian rheology on the Plinian eruption of basaltic magma (to be submitted to Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research).
3. Moitra P, Gonnermann M H, Houghton B F, Crozier J, Effect of crystals on the development of permeability during the Plinian eruption of basaltic magma (to be submitted to Bulletin of Volcanology).
4. Moitra P, Sonder I, Valentine G A, Effect of lava flow rate on its cooling and fragmentation under subaqueous eruption conditions (to be submitted to Earth and Planetary Science Letters).
|Pranabendu_Moitra__CV.pdf||168.14 KB||December 21, 2019|