Ph.D., 2015, The Open University and The Natural History Museum, London UK
Years with LPL: Fall 2019
My main research focus is on understanding the origin and evolution of volatiles in the inner Solar System. I utilize a combination of electron microscopy and high-resolution secondary ion mass spectrometry techniques to study the mineralogy, geochemistry, and petrological histories of a wide range of extraterrestrial materials.
My group is currently engaged in a project under the umbrella of Apollo Next-Generation Sample Analysis (ANGSA). The release of sample 71036 presents a unique opportunity to study volatiles in a basalt that has been frozen and specially preserved since its return, and to compare those results with basalts of similar bulk chemistries that have been stored at room temperature. This exceptional suite of basalts also offers a chance to unravel the history of volatile loss on the Moon, from the onset of mineral crystallization through vesicle formation, sampling, and subsequent curation. We are conducting a detailed study of the major, minor, and volatile element chemistry (including H isotopes) of H-bearing minerals and melt inclusions in four Apollo 17 basalts, and to determine the U-Pb and Ar ages of the basalts.
Other ongoing projects include investigating the petrology of igneous lunar samples, coordinated microanalysis of meteorites to investigate the evolution of water in the Martian crust, and studies aimed at assessing the inventories and origins of volatiles on primitive chondritic and achondritic asteroids.
View LPL Evening Lecture from September 18, 2019 - The Geological History of the Moon from the Perspective of Unopened Apollo Samples
- A Multifaceted Approach to Investigating the Magmatic and Post-magmatic History of Volatiles in Basalts from the Rim of Steno Crater - NASA - Apollo Next-Generation Sample Analysis (ANGSA) program. CY19-22. Principal Investigator.
- Investigating the Origins and Evolution of Volatiles in the Inner Solar System - NASA - Early Career Award. CY20-23. Principal Investigator.
- Acquisition of a BSE detector and MAPS software for the FIB-SEM in the Kuiper Imaging Facility - TRIF - FY20-21. Co-Investigator. Principal Investigator - T. Zega (UA).
- Investigating Degassing Histories of Apollo 15 and 17 Lunar Basalts with 3D Visualization and Coordinated Microanalysis - NASA - Future Investigators in NASA Earth and Space Science and Technology (FINESST) Program. CY21-23. Principal Investigator. Future Investigator - Z. Wilbur (UA)
- Alien Earths: Which Nearby Planetary Systems Are Likely to Host Habitable Planets and Life? NASA Interdisciplinary Consortia for Astrobiology Research (ICAR) Program. CY20-25. Co-Investigator. Principal Investigator - D. Apai (UA).
- Impact Modification of Indigenous Lunar Materials - CFPP/TRIF - FY20-21. Principal Investigator.
Current Spacecraft Involvement
- Sample Science Collaborator NASA's OSIRIS-REx mission. The lead for the Sample Elements and Isotopes Analysis Working Group. Member of Mineralogy and Petrology Working Group and Sample Archiving Data Analysis Working Group.
Current Graduate Students
- Senior research advisor for Ms. Shavonne Morin (Astronomy Major).
Recent refereed publications (NASA ADS): Years 2019 through 2020
McCubbin, Francis M. & Barnes, Jessica J. 2020, American Mineralogist. The chlorine-isotopic composition of lunar KREEP from magnesian-suite troctolite 76535
Barnes, Jessica J., McCubbin, Francis M., Santos, Alison R., Day, James M. D., Boyce, Jeremy W., Schwenzer, Susanne P., Ott, Ulrich, Franchi, Ian A., Messenger, Scott, Anand, Mahesh, & Agee, Carl B. 2020, Nature Geoscience. Multiple early-formed water reservoirs in the interior of Mars
Barrett, T. J., Barnes, J. J., Anand, M., Franchi, I. A., Greenwood, R. C., Charlier, B. L. A., Zhao, X., Moynier, F., & Grady, M. M. 2019, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Investigating magmatic processes in the early Solar System using the Cl isotopic systematics of eucrites
Peslier, A. H., Hervig, R., Yang, S., Humayun, M., Barnes, J. J., Irving, A. J., & Brandon, A. D. 2019, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Determination of the water content and D/H ratio of the martian mantle by unraveling degassing and crystallization effects in nakhlites
Barnes, Jessica J., Franchi, Ian A., McCubbin, Francis M., & Anand, Mahesh 2019, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Multiple reservoirs of volatiles in the Moon revealed by the isotopic composition of chlorine in lunar basalts
McCubbin, Francis M. & Barnes, Jessica J. 2019, Earth and Planetary Science Letters. Origin and abundances of H<SUB>2</SUB>O in the terrestrial planets, Moon, and asteroids
- $2M Gift Advances UArizona Space Science Initiatives - May 25, 2021
- A Celestial Detective Makes Her Way From the UK to Investigate Space Rocks at Arizona - April 22, 2021
- NASA Selects Six Early Career Planetary Scientists to Continue Exceptional Research - April 1, 2020
- A Martian Mash Up: Meteorites Tell Story of Mars' Water History - March 30, 2020
- Ion Beams and Atom Smashers: Secrets of Moon Rocks - June 18, 2019
- UA Planetary Scientist Wins Bid to Study Moon Samples - March 11, 2019
|Spring 2021||PTYS/GEOS 520-001||MW 9:30-10:45a.m.||Kuiper 312||
|Fall 2021||PTYS 595B-001||MW 9:00-10:40a.m.||Kuiper 312|
|Spring 2020||PTYS 510A-001||MW 12:30-1:45p.m.||Kuiper 312||
|Fall 2020||PTYS 595B-003||MW 11:00a.m.-12:40p.m.||Kuiper 312||