Around Campus


The ASUA Bookstore is located in the northwest corner of the Student Union. It carries general office supplies, UA insignia stuff, general and reference books, and textbooks organized by class number. As a graduate teaching or research assistant, you will receive a 10% discount with your current CatCard. There are many used book stores throughout Tucson; the Arizona Bookstore and Bookman's are your best bets for textbooks and other hidden gems.

Recreational Facilities

Student Rec Center: located on 6th and Highland. It houses a weight room, racquetball/squash courts, 2 large gyms, an indoor track, a huge pool, a health center/juice bar, locker rooms and showers, and various aerobics facilities. You only need a current ID card to get in as a student because all students are automatically charged a $25 rec center fee. Postdocs and faculty must pay a membership fee. If you are not registered for summer session, there is a $12.50 fee per session to use the Rec Center during the summer or you can buy a $50 pass for the summer.

Bear Down Gym: just west of the Main Library. It has several large gyms and a weight room. Again, you only need your ID card to use the facilities. If you are not registered for summer session, there is an additional charge to use Bear Down during these months.

Miscellaneous: The Gittings building and tennis courts, McKale Center, Arizona Stadium, and baseball/softball fields are generally used for classes and team use. Off-campus, the Tucson City Parks and Recreation Department operates many fields and courts around the city for public use.


Parking near the University can be a pain. There is almost no free parking left on campus, but there are numerous metered spots. There are also side-streets in the neighborhoods around campus, but many are regulated, pay attention to the signs! There are several University lots around campus and four large covered garages, where you can park if you purchase a permit. Permits start at about $200 per year (and go up to ~$650/year for the garages near LPL), but are well worth it if you drive in regularly. One convenient commuter lot (lot 9003) is located on the NE corner of Campbell and Speedway. From there it is about a 8 minute walk to the Kuiper building. If you are able to get a Zone 1 permit, a lot exists right next to the Campus Police station. Contact the Department of Parking and Transportation for information on how to obtain a parking permit.

Campus Newspapers

The Daily Wildcat is published by students every weekday during the academic year and weekly during the summer. It contains University news, a daily meeting calendar, and classified ads. Typically there are a few free copies in the Kuiper building mailroom every day, or you can pick up a free copy in the newspaper bin outside of the Sonnett building.

Student Government

The Graduate and Professional Student Council (GPSC) is the grad student governing body. The meetings are generally public, and the Daily Wildcat usually reports on the proceedings. General elections are held in early March; if you're interested in running for a graduate representative position, contact the GPSC in February for positions for the following fall.