Financial Support/Info + Funding & Award Opportunities
The Department of Planetary Sciences aims to fund all students for up to five years and we regularly fund students beyond that time frame if possible. In most cases, funding support will be provided in the form of either a half-time (20 hours per week, .50 FTE) Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) or a half-time Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) for the fall and spring semesters. Note that this would not include summer salary, which students must arrange independently with a faculty member/advisor. Like all financial offers at the University of Arizona, funding packages are implemented on a year-to-year basis and renewal is subject to an annual satisfactory review of academic and work performance and availability of funds. Read more about the benefits of appointment as a GA and see resources below for information about outside awards and fellowships.
- EducationUSA, a U.S. Department of State network of over 400 international student advising centers in more than 170 countries (international financial aid opportunities)
- Graduate College Diversity Programs funding
- Graduate College Financial Resources for Graduate Students
- Graduate College Office of Fellowships and Community Engagement (search scholarship/fellowship databases, create a personalized scholarship/fellowship search and check out other resources)
- Tax Information for International Students
- Tax Information for Students
- UA OSFA Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
- UA Research, Innovation & Impact Scholarship and Fellowship Sources
- UA Graduate Center
- Subscribe to the GradFunding Opportunities Newsletter. The GradFunding Newsletter is a service of the University of Arizona Graduate College, Office of Fellowships and Community Engagement. To subscribe or unsubscribe to the newsletter, send an email to PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnl2ZmdAeXZmZy5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+eXZmZ0B5dmZnLm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg== with "subscribe (or unsubscribe) gradfunding FirstName LastName" in the subject line. Leave message body blank and delete any automatic signature. You may send opportunities for posting to the newsletter editor, PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOmZmenZndUB0ZW5xLm5ldm1iYW4ucnFoIj5mZnp2Z3VAdGVucS5uZXZtYmFuLnJxaDwvbj4=.
If you are interested in funding or supporting a graduate student in the Department of Planetary Sciences, please see the information posted here.
Note to LPL/PTYS Graduate students: If you receive an outside award or fellowship, please notify Mary Guerrieri (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnpuZWx0MUBuZXZtYmFuLnJxaCI+em5lbHQxQG5ldm1iYW4ucnFoPC9uPg==, 520-621-2828) with details of the award (award name, type, amount). This allows the Academic Office to plan for student funding.
Also, in most cases, awards or fellowships received as a result of submission via the NSPIRES or FASTLANE process will be administered by the LPL Business Office; contact Glinda Davidson (PG4gdWVycz0iem52eWdiOnR5dmFxbkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWgiPnR5dmFxbkB5Y3kubmV2bWJhbi5ycWg8L24+, 520-621-4155) for information.
Barringer Family Fund for Meteorite Impact Research
ESA (postdoctoral) Research Fellowships in Space Sciences & Exploration
Eugene M. Shoemaker Impact Cratering Award
Geological Society of America Graduate Student Research Grants
Gerald A. Soffen Memorial Fund Travel Grant
Lloyd V. Berkner Space Policy Internships
LPI Career Development Award (visit the LPSC conference page each year for application information)
NAS Research Associateship Program
NASA Future Investigators in NASA Earth and Space Science and Technology (FINESST) (visit NSPIRES annually for latest information)
NASA Hubble Fellowship Program (NHFP) (postdoctoral)
NASA Space Technology Graduate Fellowship
NRC Research Associateship Program (postdoctoral)
NSF Astronomy and Astrophysics Postdoctoral Fellowships (AAPF)
NSF Graduate Research Fellowships Program (GRFP)
See links at top of page for more opportunities.
Arizona Space Grant Fellowship
Centennial Achievement Graduate Student Award
College of Science Galileo Circle Scholarships
College of Science Graduate Excellence Awards
CONACyT Fellowships for Mexican Doctoral Students
Dr. Maria Velez Diversity Leadership Scholarship
Graduate and Professional Student Council (GPSC) Grants and Funding
Hitachi Electron Microscopy Scholarship
Marshall Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
Native American Student Affairs (NASA) Scholarships
Richard A. Harvill Graduate Fellowship
The Peter W. Likins Graduate Fellowship Award
Theoretical Astrophysics Program Research Prize
UA/Sloan Indigenous Graduate Partnership (UA/SIGP) Fellowships